Tuesday, November 11, 2003

procrastinating

I seem to be hearing this word everywhere lately, which could just be because I've had to walk across Edinburgh University's campus several times of late and perhaps there are exams and/or essay deadlines coming up, I don't know. The point is that I'm quite conflicted in my feelings about its spreading usage.

On the one hand the little Patrick inside me who used to be teased at school for having "swallowed a dictionary" is heartened to hear anyone else using words with more than three sylables! On the other hand I can't help but wonder if the popularity of this particular word is bad news: if everyone with a half decent vocabulary is busily procrastinating (is that an oxymoron?) then how is anything intelligent ever going to get done?

No comments: