Wednesday, September 15, 2004

false alarm

I mentioned a couple of days ago that we might be getting a cat. Understandably for those of you who know me this caused some confusion, but as it turns out we're not.

I've said before that I'm not a cat person, in fact as a rule I really dislike them, but (like any prejudice) this doesn't always hold when applied to an individual. The individual cat in question is a really un-cat-like, friendly and affectionate little creature called Esso who's lived with a friend of mine from work since she was found in an oil refinery about eleven years ago. This friend also now has two dogs, both spaniels, one of which is quite young and... well, inquisitive. Add to that the fact that they're all splitting their time between two homes and the poor moggie was having a more unsettled life than my friend felt was suitable for an old-ish cat, so he decided that she might be better off living somewhere else.

For the past week we've been trial-running my house as that somewhere else, but sadly mine and Anita's physiologies turn out not to be cat-compatible. I suspect mine would eventually adapt but Anita's seems not to be doing so, with her alergic reation worsening each day. This is particularly sad because Anita and Esso got on really very well... apart from the bit where Esso makes Anita want to claw all her skin off with the itching that is. Anyway, this morning I drove to work with a cat-in-a-box in the passenger-side footwell, and returned her to her original owner who confessed to being very pleased at having her back. I can see why: Esso is an uncommonly personable cat, and even after only a week Anita and I will really miss her.

If you ask me, the last thing the internet needs is more pictures of cats, but Liz seems to disagree, so you can look at Esso over on LiveJournal if you want. Cute eh?

No comments: