Thursday, March 11, 2004

on Dreams

I just had a very strange dream. I fell asleep without meaning to earlier in the evening and had one of those very vivid and specific nap-dreams. This one involved going shopping for a car with my Mum. We were in a shop that was a sort of cross between a giant B&Q Depot and the little Emmaus flea-market place near my folks' house in France... anyway Mum was convinced that she wanted to buy an old 'C' reg* Peugot 309 that had been kept in a shoebox since new and had 0 miles on the clock...

I spent a lot of time and energy trying convince Mum that firstly the 309 is a grim little car that she shouldn't buy, and secondly sitting idle for 18 years inside a shoebox really wouldn't have been good for any car, but she wasn't listening to me... in a typical dream-logic way the store suddenly went from very busy to closed and deserted, and the whole 309 thing was left unresolved while we (me, my sister my Mum and Anita) went home to a village resembling one of the ones near here only far far noisier (everyone in it shouted, a lot.)

then I woke up and spent a good hour or so being very very disoriented, then I wrote it all down for you lot and now I'm off to make pasta, eat the pasta and then go to bed, where hopefully I won't dream of french hatchbacks...

*I'm somewhat disturbed to find that my subconscious is so stuffed with pointless car information that it knew the 309 dated back to 1986 and could put an appropriate registration plate on this fictional vehicle, oh and the caption for the linked photo says "1997" even though the 309 was discontinued in '93 (see, I'm a lost cause when it comes to auto-trivia) but it's almost exactly what the car in my dream looked like... except it isn't dusty and inside a giant shoebox of course

No comments: