Saturday, January 03, 2004

start as you mean to go on

Today was great, in fact this year to date has been, I swapped one visiting friend (Keith) for another (Hamish) and the last few evenings have just been a long succession of chilled out chats, good food and smug-warm-and-dry-ness in my lovely little house. bliss.

Today Hame, 'nite and I decided that too much of a good thing (i.e. my living room) might not be wise so we bundled ourselves up into reasonably weather resistant gear and went down the road to New Lanark: an incredibly pretty little planned mill village from the Industrial Revolution. It sits at the base of the Falls of Clyde, where the surging waters have been being harnessed for centuries. It's also the closest place to go for a gentle walk in pretty countryside so that's just what we did.

Hame's still recovering from the Canadian Lurgi he brought back with him after xmas and I think 'nite was feeling the effects of too many nights in so niether was up to treking very far even on a gentle footpath walk but it was really great being outside anyway and while I could happily have walked all day, it's probably best that I didn't since I've been doing plenty of sitting about on my arse myself, and will probably feel even the few small hills we covered in my legs tomorrow.

There seems to be a definite sense among all of us that we'll do more of this kind of thing this year: less time online and more in 'meatspace' - I can't wait!

(posted retrospectively)

No comments: