Thursday, January 18, 2007

back to it...

...whatever "it" turns out to be. Yes, now that I'm home it's that time again: job hunting season*. What's really nice about this time round though is how often people are telling me one way or another that I'm very very employable, and not just my Mum & Dad (whose unfailing support and encouragement is, as always, much appreciated) but recruitment agents and other such people who might be in positions to find me a job. It makes a pleasant change from previous experiences at this game... though now I come to write that down I suppose it's been a gradual shift (last time around things were almost as optimistic). I think maybe after the 18 month battering my work-self esteem took applying for jobs to move on from Watson's, some part of me still expects to get knocked back sumarily at every turn. It's good to have that blown out of the water.

So this week held three agency interviews (all very positive experiences) and Monday sees the first actual job interview. Experience this summer taught me that job interviews really are a two way process, and I'm going to remember that I'm as much there to see if the job fits me, as they are there to see if I fit the job. This lot do sound like they've got the specifics of the job nailed down pretty well though, so that should help.

Another thing I've found through talking to recruiters all week is how commited I am to being in this place. Much as I loved Australia (and firmly intend to go back,) I missed Edinburgh, I missed the city and I really missed my friends here so the most exciting thing about this hunt for a new means of paying the bills, is that I'm doing it here. With a bit of luck I'll find something with the best qualities from my last three jobs: great pay, engaging and challenging work and the kind of great colleagues who become great friends. Well a boy can dream right?

*does it worry anone else that I heard that in Buggs Bunny's voice when I typed it?

No comments: