Wednesday, May 30, 2007

a dazed (but very happy) rambling update

How is it almost June?

I must now be a proper grown-up: it's 8pm and I was just checking my work email. Fear not though this is not the norm by a long way. A supplier did a Bad Thing on a job. The client for the job is in a timezone where it's only just lunch. The deadline is soon. There's an outside chance that by checking my work inbox for a few minutes a few times this evening I won't end up with a hellish Friday afternoon, and it doesn't disrupt my evening of chilling out on the sofa with music (the Wilburys are on right now but 's a very mixed playlist)

My cousin got married this weekend, meaning I'm now the last unpartnered member of my generation of the family*, four of the five of us are now happily bespoused and I really enjoyed being included this weekend. Family occasions are generally an affirming experience for me, I'm lucky enough to belong to a very close and loving immediate family. I don't see as much as I'd like of my extended family, but every time I do we seem able to pick up where we left off and I'm very fond of my cousins, aunts and uncle... I gather from assorted conversations this weekend that the feeling's mutual too which is nice. We're a pretty inclusive clan too I think, and each of my contemporaries seems to have done very well in finding a mate meaning I get four more great people folded into my family at varying distances <tone=mildly wistful>it would be nice to have someone of my own to bring to that particular party someday</tone>

(as if to snap me out of it the iPod just decided to swicth to the Red Elivises: I think it might actually be impossible to feel even remotely sorry for oneself while Istanbul Bellydance is playing... and I wasn't actually feeling down anyway, just mildly wistful)

Work continues to be a source of joy as well as a source of income (YAY! I got paid for the first time in seven months on Friday!) I know many people will have been apalled by my earlier revelation about email but it really does all balance out, and nobody other than me even suggested I might do what I'm doing this evening so I don't think there's any danger of my work-life over running my free time. I do seem to have difficulty talking about much else lately though so appologies to anyone I've bored to death lately with endless yammering about how great my job is.

Edinburgh is gloomy. Why is that? April was lovely and May has been decidedly iffy, I was all geared up for a bright and clear summer (I don't care much about the heat, I just like it to be dry underfoot and warm enough to sit in the park) Hopefully June will be better.

*by most conventional counts although you could argue otherwise by including step-cousins or (possibly?) cousins I don't know about.

No comments: