Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Strong foundations

Walking home from the first day of an excellent two day Flash training course on this glorious sunny afternoon, I passed the continuing works for the EICC Extension. It is on my way home but, not necessarily by the most obvious route. I think I partly detoured that way to enjoy it as a metaphor (because we all know how much I love those!)

So far most of 2011 has felt like the world was gouging huge holes in my life, ripping up existing structures in a couple of significant areas and leaving... well nothing in their place. Increasingly, I'm feeling like this was (in my work life at least) a very good thing. With construction now well under way in the chasm where my career used to be, I can see really exciting new structures emerging. Better by far than anything I've had there before...

The hole in my personal life is less raw now too. That "development" is still a vacant lot. I suspect it'll remain so for a while, but there's so much going on "next door" that I'm more at ease with the gap left by the unexpected demolition in January.

Yup. The groundworks and initial structure for the EICC extension have that same positive sense of potential and strength I'm getting in my work just now and I like the analogy. Of course I'll do a better job of the aesthetics with my development though.

No comments: