Tuesday, February 10, 2004

blowing my own horn

I'm really quite fit.* I know that's awfully immodest of me and all but I think I can be excused on account being really rather surprised by the realisation myself. I shouldn't be: it's occurred to me before but I've been incredibly lazy for the past six months or so and thought I'd got out of shape, apparently not: last night I collected the useful timber remains of Liz's deadbed (Fiona killed it by chewing something a little too vigourously while perched on it... or so I'm told) - I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to use the bits for, but they looked awfully useful and I have storage for them so I asked if I could have them and Liz said I could... I suspect they'll become shelves.

anyway Liz lives right at the top of one of the implausibly long and winding stone staircases that enable the denizens of Edinburgh's old town to live a very full three dimensional life (possibly more than three come to think of it: the Old Town is decidedly Escher-esque in places) If I remember correctly it's about six normal storeys up - Edinburgh ceilings being the height they are there are in fact only four very tall storeys (of which this isn't one!) The remains of deadbed were at the top of said staircase while my car was parked as close by as possible, at the bottom of the stairs and then a few meters down the precipitously sloped cobbled street onto which they lead.

Car was parked on a meter and Patrick was in a hurry so without really realising it until afterward, what I did was go up the stairs, disassemble the broken bed, carry first one armful of timber then (pausing briefly to run back up the stairs!) the other armful of timber which I bundled into the back of the car and then scooted off in a hurry to Hamish's where I arrived about an hour early on account of having completed the whole wood collection thing in about 30 minutes flat... It's about then that it struck me: I'm really quite fit!


* it has been suggested that rather than being an example of manly prowess in the field of timber hefting, this episode is in fact evidence of some kind of mutant abilities, so I'd just like to reassure anyone who's concerned that I will only use my powers for good :D

No comments: