Tuesday, February 24, 2004

clarity, caffiene and mugs

Did I mention that some evil git has stolen my coffee mug? It's most unsettling. Said mug is a large-ish one that my friend James bought me ages ago when we considered anything involving sheep to be the height of humour... or he did at least, but I like it 'cus of the associations (friendly ones not sheeply ones) I brought it to work a couple of years back because the mugs here are too small, and because getting one you'd want to drink out of is rare: teachers are appalling slobs - in 3rd year at university I lived in a flat with six other fellas three of whom were football-playing-second-year-lad-archetypes and another of whom was an economist, you can't imagine the filth that accumulated there over the year (I actually once had an alergic reaction to touching our fridge - my guess was that something on it had mutated and I wouldn't have been surprised if just having it in the kitchen broke several conventions on biological weaponry!) Incredibly though the kitchen area in our staff room here makes the one in that flat seem like a page out of a Magnet catalogue by comparison! - Sheep mug and I make, sorry made about three trips a day through the swamp to the coffee machine together, and being something of a creature of habit I was really thrown last Friday to discover it wasn't on my desk where it always is... someone had rustled my sheep!

badness.

So this morning I have a new work mug - it's not the same but it's pleasingly weighted and large enough to make walking down to the coffee machine worthwhile again... I'm still hoping my sheep one will turn up unharmed but realistically I think it's gone for good.

On a brighter note last night I had a really great evening with Hamish - we're doing this thing where we meet up once a week and talk to each other about all the projects we each have on the go, kind of a structure for making sure said projects keep current 'cus it gives each of us someone to be accountable to. Anyway one of mine is this new self-promotion CV thing I cooked up (there'll be a tie-in section on here soon so you'll all have to wait and see what it is for now) and I'd run aground doing some of the content that afternoon. Talking about it with Hame was a real shot in the arm because it made me realise that actually I've got all this great content ready to roll, I just needed a slight shift in perspective. Everyone should have friends like that: personal polarisation filters who help you see right through the surface glare... now if you'll excuse me I have to go and be brilliant.

No comments: