Tuesday, February 17, 2004

happy

my friends visited me! yay!

on Thursday afternoon just before I finished work reception emailed up to tell me that the visitors I was expecting had arrived, and sure enough there they both were. Two of my oldest and best friends (James and Caroline) who I've not seen much of since before I moved from Edinburgh, came up to spend a long weekend with me.

On Friday they recovered from their travels while I worked and then we all met up with some of the usual Friday gang for dinner and Improverts which I think James and Caz both enjoyed, I certainly did. It was a little bit 'when worlds collide' for me, and I must confess to being a bit nervous that old and new wouldn't mix but as far as I can tell a good time was had by all.

The weekend itself was gloomy weather so any vague plans we'd had for 'doing stuff' went out of the window in favour of a long chilled out session of just hanging out and catching up: we took a trip to Tesco to stock up on Caz-friendly foods and James-friendly beers (neither of which I'd got) then we plonked ourselves down in the livingroom and relaxed - it was wonderful!

The pair of them have been something of an item on and off for almost as long as I can remember, certainly since school. A few years back they solidified the whole thing by getting engaged and buying a house together, which is great but it did somewhat change the individual friend-dynamics for me, I think this weekend was the first time since then that I've really managed to relate to each of them the way I used to before they became a real couple, best of all I found I really like the new grown-up version of them as a couple, they're fun to be around.

by Monday we'd thoroughly caught up (as well as having consumed far too much very nice ale - I discovered 'Goliath' this weekend, which I love) and inspite of the weather still being grim it was time to leave the house so we went to Glasgow and looked for a coffee jug that would fit under the nozzle on my new espresso machine (which incidentally I also love) we didn't really find one but we did have a great time and got to hang out with Jamie briefly which was great.

Yesterday the sun came out and I took them to New Lanark for a small dose of pretty Scottish scenery, then we got chips in Lanark before I had to drive them to the train station and say goodbye. Hopefully it won't be so long again before we next get to do something like that.

No comments: